I have been asking around to identify possible areas where we can chip in to help with the Uttarakhad Relief work. Adding the options I have found so far, here so that those who wish to support can find it easier to do so.
List of Medicines needed for UKhand (source Goonj website)
List of other materials needed (source HIMVKAS)
- Ropes (strong) to make/support temporary routes
- Food stock – Rice, wheat, pulses,oil, sugar, tea
- Cholrine tablets, Glucose, face mask, first aid kits
- Tents & blankets
- Cooking utensils & fuel
- Solar lights/torches/batteries
Where can you send the materials:
- Goonj has pick up centers
- Medicines can be sent to Doctors4u also who are running camps in the affected areas
- For HIMVKAS the address is Himalayan Jan Kalyan Avam Bal Vikas Samiti , Village & post Tilwari, Block Sahaspur, Dehradun – 248197 | Email:firstname.lastname@example.org | Santosh Passi – 9760178654
Updates from NGOs:
- Post the search & rescue operations which have helped rescue a lot of pilgrims, the NGOs feel that a lot of work would need to focus on getting the locals back on their feet
- Currently access was a hurdle due to continous rains and even basic damage assessment is not through
- Some NGOs have started reaching out to the specific regions they work in, to identify the exact damage, build reports for a 18-24 months development/re-hab program. These reports would also help these specific individual communities to reach out to goverment and other sponsors for fund-raising.
- Tent colonies would need to be built to weather the monsoon months.